The University of Zurich developed its first gender equality action plan 2013–16 in the context of the federal program. The first action plan was a continuation of the gender equality policy at UZH, as formulated in the Gender Policy Code of Conduct.
The University of Zurich’s gender equality action plan was developed by the Office for Gender Equality in cooperation with the Gender Equality Commission. The University’s Executive Board adopted the action plan on 21 June 2012.
Download infographic 1
The University of Zurich had set itself the following goals in its gender equality action plan:
- the realisation of gender equality on a structural level in all key areas of activity: teaching, research and community service
- increasing the proportion of women professors as well as the proportion of women in academic leadership positions
Units and Actors
The Gender Equality Commission and the Office for Gender Equality coordinated and supported the actions and projects that were part of the gender equality action plan 2013-16. These actions and projects were defined by the University's faculties, institutes and central services.
Actions and Projects
Download infographic 2
The gender equality action plan contained actions and projects that contributed to the institutionalisation of gender equality at the University of Zurich. The faculties and other units including the central services were the key actors in this process. The faculties submitted funding applications to the Action Plan Committee for projects that made a contribution to structural change with respect to gender equality at the UZH as well as address at least one of the seven domains for action in the action plans.
During 2013-16 existing practices and processes were examined with respect to their impact on the goals of the gender equality action plan. Moreover, the impact of the actions and projects that are part of the action plan were also assessed. The following instruments assisted the quality management:
- the annual Gender Equality Monitoring
- the regular reports by the University’s Executive Board concerning the implementation of the Code of Conduct Gender Policy
- «Check-Up» (for evaluations)
- the annual Academic Reports of all academic units at the University of Zurich