Visiting Professor 01.09.2021–28.02.2022
Professor Eleni Vasilaki is visiting professor at the Institute of Neuroinformatics(UZH and ETHZ).
She is Chair of Bioinspired Machine Learning and the head of the Machine Learning Group in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Sheffield, UK.
Inspired by biology, Prof. Vasilaki and her team design novel machine learning techniques with a focus on reinforcement learning and reservoir computing.
She also works closely with material scientists and engineers to design hardware that computes in a brain-like manner.
Prof. Vasilaki’s work is funded via a number of grants. She is primary investigator on a Google Deepmind Faculty Award and investigator on:
- CausalXRL: Causal eXplanations in Reinforcement Learning (EP/V055720/1)
- Magnetic Architectures for Reservoir Computing Hardware (EP/V006339/1)
- ActiveAI EPSRC (EP/S030964/1)
- From Stochasticity to Functionality: Probabilistic Computation with Magnetic Nanowires (EP/S009647/1)
- Brains on Board: Neuromorphic Control of Flying Robots (EP/P006094/1)
- Women in Data Science event, Mathworks 1st July 2021, Cambridge UK
- Royal Society Data - Human Transformation “remembering and learning” workshop, 27 February 2019, London UK
- Inspire Summer School programme 2019, Sheffield UK (now known as ”Insight into University”)
- CFI and Royal Society Machine Learning Dialogues 17 June 2017, Sheffield UK
Advisory Board Member
Research Centre For Emergent Algorithmic Intelligence at the University of Mainz, Germany, since 2019
Scientific Reports (Nature), PLOS ONE and PeerJ open access journals